The first Reform synagogue in South Africa, Temple Israel opened in 1936 under the leadership of Rabbi M.C. Weiler. An Art Deco temple designed by architects Kallenbach, Kennedy and Furner, the building also houses the archives of Progressive Judaism. Equality between men and women was promoted, and in 1949 the sisterhood at Temple Israel founded the M.C. Weiler School in Alexandra, to counter the inferior "Bantu Education" offered by the apartheid state.
This building began in 1911 as a bonded liquor warehouse for William McBain. Later the front offices were used by the construction company of D.F. Corlett, master-builder and Mayor of Johannesburg from 1931-'32. Arts on Main was redeveloped by Propertuity in 2009 as a pioneering arts centre, combining five consolidated warehouses, and designed by Architects Daffonchio and Associates. It was from here that Maboneng spread.